People who are not blessed with naturally straight hair often turn to chemical treatments to get rid of unruly waves and curls. Many beauty salons offer hair-straightening services with immediate results. The finished look lasts for a limited time, perhaps a year.
But after one year, your hair will start showing the side effects of the harsh chemicals and heated tools used during the treatment. This can include dry hair, allergy on the scalp and hair loss.
If you wish to have straight hair without damaging your lustrous locks, you can try some natural home remedies. There are some ingredients in your kitchen that can help straighten your hair naturally.
These home remedies should be done no more than two or three times a week. Daily use would not be healthy for your scalp and hair.
1. Hot Oil Treatments
Regular hot oil treatments is one the best and easiest ways to keep your hair smooth and well hydrated. The heat and saturation from the warm oil will relax the light wavy and curly pattern of your hair. For hot oil treatment, the best options are coconut, olive, almond or sesame oil.
- Slightly heat the oil you wish to use in a microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Apply the warm oil to your hair and massage your scalp for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Comb your hair thoroughly to evenly distribute the oil. It will also avoid breakage while washing your hair.
- Cover your hair with a hot wet towel for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Gently comb your hair (use a wide-toothed comb not a brush) while it is still wet and allow it to air dry.
2. Coconut Milk
Coconut milk is believed to help straighten hair. It has a moisturizing ability and also gives your hair a beautiful shine and luster. In addition, it has all the benefits of being antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral to keep your scalp infection free.
- In a glass jar, mix one cup of fresh coconut milk and the juice of one lemon.
- Place the glass jar in the refrigerator for a few hours, until there is a creamy layer on the top.
- Massage your hair and scalp with this cream, and then leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Cover your head with a shower cap or swimming cap and wrap a warm moist towel around the cap.
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes, and then shampoo and condition your hair.
- Comb your hair when it is still wet and allow it to air dry.
Milk is known to have moisturizing properties that can help straighten hair. Also, the protein in milk fortifies the hair shafts, making them smooth and frizz free.
Mix together one-half cup each of milk and water. Store the mixture in a spray bottle. Comb out any tangles in your hair, spray the mixture over your hair and comb it again. Leave it on for 30 minutes so that the milk is absorbed by your hair. Then wash your hair with shampoo and apply conditioner.
Mix one tablespoon of honey in one cup of milk. Mash up three to four strawberries and add them to the mixture. Apply this mixture to your hair thoroughly and wrap your hair in a towel for about two hours. Wash your hair with a mild shampoo, comb your hair using a wide-toothed comb and let your hair air dry.
4. Eggs and Olive Oil
Eggs play an important role in making your hair stronger and shiner. Olive oil helps keep your hair well moisturized. These ingredients, when combined together, help straighten your hair naturally.
- Beat two eggs properly and mix in four tablespoons of olive oil.
- Apply this mixture to your hair and scalp, then comb your hair with a wide-toothed comb.
- Wear a shower cap and leave it on for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Rinse it off and wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
5. Fuller’s Earth
Fuller’s earth, also known as multani mitti, can help straighten your hair naturally. It can even help get rid of frizzy hair. Additionally, being a mild cleansing agent, it will not damage your hair.
- Mix together one cup of fuller’s earth, one egg white and two tablespoons of rice flour.
- Add enough water to the mixture to get a thin texture.
- Apply this mixture to your hair and comb your hair with a wide-toothed comb.
- Leave it in for one hour, and then wash it out with water.
- Now generously spray milk on your hair.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes, and then shampoo and condition your hair.
6. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera contains several enzymes that promote healthy hair growth and makes your hair smooth and soft. Also, aloe vera gel easily penetrates into the hair strands and keeps them well moisturized. Due to this moisturizing property, it can straighten your hair naturally.
- Mix one-half cup each of aloe vera gel and warm olive oil.
- Optionally, mix in six drops each of rosemary oil and sandalwood oil.
- Massage the mixture into your hair and scalp.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it on for one to two hours.
- Rinse it off and shampoo your hair with a mild shampoo.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a great ingredient for straightening your hair. It restores your hair’s natural pH levels and promotes healthy hair growth and an infection-free scalp.
- Mix one or two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in one cup of water.
- Use this mixture as a final rinse after shampooing your hair.
- Leave this rinse on your hair and allow it to air dry.
Beer is rich in proteins and vitamins that are a great help in maintaining healthy hair. Plus, the alcohol in beer acts as a cleansing and shine agent and has a softening effect on your hair.
- Boil one cup of beer in a pan over medium heat until it reduces to half. Allow it to cool and then mix it with a cup of your regular shampoo. Wash your hair with this homemade beer shampoo.
- Alternatively, simply use flat beer as your final rinse after shampooing your hair.
You can keep boiled beer in a spray bottle and use it as a leave-in conditioner, too.
9. Castor Oil
Castor oil is another popular home remedy to make your hair straight. It conditions your hair and helps it stay hydrated. Additionally, it prevents frizzing as well as fights scalp infections.
- Mix together two tablespoons of castor oil and one tablespoon of soybean oil.
- Warm the mixture in a microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Massage your scalp and hair with it for a few minutes.
- Leave it in for 30 minutes.
- Wash it out and shampoo your hair.
- Comb your hair while it is still wet and allow it to air dry.
10. Celery Leaves
Celery leaves can help straighten hair naturally and also stimulate hair growth.
- Chop a bunch of celery leaves.
- Put the chopped leaves and a little water in a juicer to extract the juice.
- Strain the juice with a muslin cloth.
- Store the juice in a spray bottle and set it aside for two days.
- After two days, spray the juice over your hair.
- Comb with a wide-tooth comb to help spread the juice throughout your hair.
- Massage for a few minutes, then cover your head with a shower cap.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo and apply conditioner.
These home remedies will give you excellent results when used regularly and with patience. Along with these remedies, you need to condition your hair properly after every wash to control the frizz and relax your hair.